There is nothing religious about Surya Namaskar. This is a form of exercise dedicated to the sun. This consists of 10 body postures, disciplined breathing, and rhythmic movements with an alert mind. This is also practiced as warm up before practicing Asana
Wear loose clothes, do some warm-up exercise of the body, select open and spacious place.
- A person suffering from acute disease, weakness should avoid Surya Namaskar
- A person suffering from a backache, spinal injury, and neck pain also should Surya Namaskar
- A person suffering from any other disease should practice under the able guidance and under a doctor’s advice.
According to Yoga guru Sadashiv Nimbalkar, the practice of Surya Namaskar can have immense benefits. In his book titled Surya Namaskar, he narrates following benefits:
- Improves tone of the muscles
- Makes spine healthy and elastic, augment the efficiency of the organs
- Increase flexibility of joints
- The waist, back, and neck become healthy
- Blood circulation, respiration, digestion, excretion improves
- Endocrine gland secretion improves
- Helps in maintaining proper body and mind coordination
- Gives emotional stability and improves intellectual capacity
- Enthusiasm and work efficiency improves
- Increases resistance power
- It is a secondary treatment for various diseases.
“Sun salutation can energise and warm you even on the darkest, coldest winter day.”Carol Krucoff
Now the important question is how to practice Surya Namaskar. Following two videos will guide you. The instructions in one video are in English and in Hindi in another.
Keep practicing regularly. Be healthy and happy.