There is one food item which can help us maintain our health during festival days. We find this in every kitchen. No need to plan or spend anything. This magic item is our dear little Lemon. Yes, Lemon is a magic panacea to manage our stomach and digestive system.
“Lemon contributed substantially in my success to climb the Mount Everest.” Sir Edmond Hillary.
According to the publication Fruits published by the National Institute of Nutrition, India, Lemon consists of; 59 calories, 900 mg of Calcium, 20 mg of Phosphorus, and 63 mg of Vitamin C.
According to Ayurveda, Lemon offers many health benefits.
Caution: Never drink lemon juice alone, it has a high acidic content which is harmful to tooth enamel.
Lemon juice is acidic in nature, but lemon juice with water is alkaline.
Benefits of Lemon:
- Lemon water boosts digestive stomach fire, subside acidity (Pitta), and relieves constipation.
- Early morning consumption of one or two glasses of lemon juice with warm water is good for digestion, constipation, and detoxification.
- Potassium in lemon is good for the health of the heart.
- Lemon water is good for the cleansing of the urinary tract.
- Lemon is good for the Mountaineers. It works well for the body in less oxygen area.
According to Dr.Axe, The Benefits of Lemon Water: Detox Your Body & Skin:
- Because the lemon juice’s atomic structure is similar to the digestive juices found in the stomach, it tricks the liver into producing bile, which helps keep food moving through our body and gastrointestinal tract smoothly. Lemon water also helps relieve indigestion or ease an upset stomach.
- The acids found in lemon juice also encouraging our body to process the good stuff in foods more slowly. This drawn-out absorption means insulin levels remain steady and we get more nutrients out of the foods you consume. Better nutrient absorption means less bloating.
- Lemon water benefits the enzyme functions in our body, stimulating the liver and flushing out toxins. Because it’s a mild diuretic, we might find yourself using the bathroom more often, helping the urinary tract get rid of any unwanted elements. All of this helps detox body & skin.
Cumin seeds and cinnamon powder are also good for the stomach health:
10 benefits of a magic spice – Cinnamon
14 super benefits of superfood Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
In her article 12 Insane Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water Every Morning, the author Tina Donvito writes;
One of the benefits of drinking lemon water is that the acids help to digest food. “The citrus flavonoids in lemon aid the acid in the stomach in breaking down food, which may improve overall digestion,” says registered dietician Erin Palinski-Wade, RD, CDE, author of Belly Fat Diet For Dummies. “Warming the water seems to provide the greatest digestive benefits.” Aiding digestion is especially important as we get older because the amount of acid in our stomach declines with age. One study showed that over 30 percent of men and women over age 60 had atrophic gastritis, a condition marked by little to no stomach acid. In addition, if you add lemon slices and zest to your water, you may be able to harness some of the benefits of pectin, a fiber found in the pulp and peel. Many studies have shown fiber to improve digestion and gut health.
If the above measures fail, Shankhprakshalana is the last resort explained in the post One quick Yogic remedy for Constipation.