“Cinnamon bites and kisses simultaneously.” Vanna Bonta
We are using Cinnamon or Taj as commonly known as one of the spices and taste makers. The reality is Cinnamon is a magic spice in our Kitchen and used as medicines for thousands of years. Ayurveda texts Nighantu describes Cinnamon as a spice which controls Vata and Pitta. Its nature is hot, so it also controls Kapha. That means it can control all the three Doshas.
Vata, Pitta, and Kapha are three Doshas according to Ayurveda. The doshas are biological energies found throughout the human body and mind. They govern all physical and mental processes and provide every living being with an individual blueprint for health and fulfillment.
Imbalance in the three Doshas is the cause of any disease in the body. Cinnamon can balance all the three Doshas when they are imbalanced. This is the magic of Cinnamon.
Cinnamon is grown in Sri Lanka, China, Singapore, and India. Cinnamon grown in Sri Lanka is known for their good quality.
Facts & Benefits:
- It is useful in heart and urinary diseases.
- Cinnamon oil is useful for enhancing digestive fire, and severe headache.
- It is also known to be beneficial in dysentery.
- Good for dental health
- Cinnamon is full of healthy antioxidants, which can help protect and heal our body from various ailments.
If our body has enough antioxidants available, they will react safely with free radicals and prevent any cell damage to the body. (1)
- As per Medical News Today, Studies have shown that cinnamon does have an effect on blood glucose levels in those with type 2 diabetes.
- Research suggests that cinnamon may also have a positive effect on lowering fasting blood glucose, reducing triglycerides, improving serum glucose, and improving both good and bad cholesterol. (2, 3, 4)
- In a study regarding the effects of aromatherapy for children with ADHD, results indicated that cinnamon may help calm those suffering from ADHD. (5) (ADHD = Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
- Promising research shows that cinnamon oil may be effective in treating gastric cancers, melanoma, leukemia, lymphoma, and various tumors. (6)
- Cinnamon tea is good as anti inflammatory property and helps in pain, heartburn, and swelling. Cinnamon tea is made of hot water with cinnamon sticks or powder.
Some research indicates cinnamon has a good impact on Alzheimer, Arthritis, and Parkinson diseases. It is a good mood enhancer also.
Cinnamon is usually consumed as a powder or tea.
Our kitchen is our medical store, use it smartly to remain healthy.