If you don’t use it you lose it. This is called disuse Atrophy (waste away).
Why all of us must know this important principle? It is because if we don’t use our body parts, they suffer from disuse atrophy over the period of time.
Most of the time muscle atrophy is simply the result of disuse. This is not applicable only to people who are bedridden, but the real culprit for the majority of muscle atrophy cases is a sedentary lifestyle. With vigorous exercise, this type of atrophy can be reversed.
The same principle is applicable to our mind also. If we don’t use it, we lose it. Yet we don’t use our brain to understand the importance of exercise in our life. Our stubbornness of mind is so ingrained in us, many of us are unwilling to change our way of life in order to get the exercise we need.
“The greatest tragedy that can befall a person is the atrophy of his mind.” Zhuangzi
We will change only are forced to or circumstance compels us. Only about 21% of Americans do adequate exercise. America is an advanced country about the fitness. One can imagine the percentage of people do exercise in other countries. As per one survey only less than 10% Indian exercise.
Another survey found, “Customers do understand that healthcare costs have risen; however, they don’t go for regular health checkups and prefer to visit the doctor only when they are unwell. Also, most of them feel the treatment and hospitalization expenses are too high at the time of treatment of any critical illness; however they don’t consider buying health insurance,”
- We don’t exercise even if we are facing disuse Atrophy.
- We don’t do the preventive medical checkup even if lifestyle diseases are painful and costly.
- We don’t buy insurance policies even if we are aware of rising medical treatment cost.
- Even if we do some exercise, we don’t do under professional guidance. (Imagine medical treatment without professional guidance)
- We don’t know what to eat and how much to eat in spite of the fact risk of Diabetes, Obesity and Heart Disease are looming large.
In spite of the above facts, I will continue to write for those who would like to change.
Remember: Muscles which are not exercised, become weak and may eventually atrophy.
Atrophies are two types: Disuse (non-use) and Neurogenic (Due to some other diseases)
We are discussing here disuse atrophy.
Symptoms of Muscle Disuse Atrophy:
- Muscle weakness and a decrease in muscle size.
- The skin around the affected muscle may seem to sag away from the muscle.
- Difficulty lifting things, moving the atrophied area, or doing exercise that was once easy.
- Pain in the affected area.
- Back pain and difficulty walking.
- A feeling of stiffness or heaviness in the affected area.
The good news is Muscle Disuse Atrophy can be reversed only with adequate exercise and stretches under the expert guidance.
Food can play an important role to reverse Muscle Atrophy.
- Protein is necessary for muscle growth. Drink milk, eat cheese, paneer, and nuts.
- In the absence of Carbohydrate, the body will start breaking muscle for fuel. This will weaken the muscle. Eat carbohydrate with fiber and not with sugar. Eat fruits, vegetables, grains, and milk.
- Omega 3 is a good fat, which stops muscle breakdown. Eating Omega 3 rich foods like soya beans, flax seeds, and walnut are good for muscle strength.
But remember, no shortcuts. Exercise is must to build/strengthen muscles and slow down the atrophy process. Start today before you lose what you have.
Remember: Muscle Disuse Atrophy is just one of the dangers of not exercising, there are many others.
“The reason I exercise is for the quality of life I enjoy.” Kenneth H. Cooper.
Don’t allow your life quality to deteriorate for your laziness or preconceived notions about the exercise.
Some people believe if we don’t want to build muscles there is no need to exercise or Gym. This is a wrong notion. To save what you have, you need to exercise and do proper gym training.
Have flexible mind, and flexible and strong body.
Liked the post? Share it. Liked the post? Subscribe the Blog for regular updates in your inbox.