“It is not always the same thing to be a good man and a good citizen.” Aristotle
The entire country is shocked with Pulwama incident. Social media and Whats app are full of wraths against the perpetrators and respect for the killed soldiers.
But the irony is we have left nationalism to our armed forces. They are dying for the country. This is the highest level of their commitment to the nation.
But shouldn’t we the citizen also live for the nation? Shouldn’t we be committed to fulfill our basic duty as a citizen? Or our nationalism is limited to social media and Whats app?
Here is a list of 42 things every citizen should do for a law-abiding, socially conscious, and progressive nation.
Nation Loving Society:
- Be proud of your nation
- Know more about the history, culture, and great people of India
- Read auto/biographies of great Indian personalities
- Use positive words, experiences, and stories
- Engage in better India activities
- Travel Indian destinations more often
- Keep your surrounding clean
- Pay your taxes, ask for bills. Tax evasion is a crime
- Always Vote in Elections. Do not go on a vacation or picnic on election day
- Respect and obey laws. There are only two castes – Followers of law are high caste and non-followers are low caste
- Do not bribe. Bribe takers/givers are no less than antinational smugglers
- Inspire others
“For many years, at great cost, I traveled through many countries, saw the high mountains, the oceans. The only things I did not see were the sparkling dewdrops in the grass just outside my door.” Rabindranath Tagore
Before you get overwhelmed by other countries know your country well.
Handpicked related post: The Person, Many Books, & Lots of Inspiration
“We need to teach our children empathy and care and love and communication and social responsibility in preparation for adulthood.” Maya Soetoro-Ng
- Do not eat junk food
- Do not smoke, drink alcohol or eat tobacco – Gutka
- Drink more water
- Eat smaller meals – eat every 3 hours
- Practice and promote good hygiene
- Do exercise and Yoga – Daily (You fitness makes the country more productive, lessen the burden on health infrastructure)
- Donate one hour daily /weekly for social work
- Develop a hobby
- Do your work with honesty
- Spend quality time with the family
- Respect your parents and senior citizen
- Share your experience with your children
- Learn about your personal finances
- Invest in health and life insurance
- Save for the future
- Limit your earning and work for a non-monetary purpose
- Do not over borrow
- Do not waste water, electricity, and fuel
- Buy local products
Your responsible acts will help your nation to conserve the resources. It will help better utilisation of resources.
Handpicked related post: Know Virat Kohli’s Yoga Inspiration
“Ideals once formed make the mind lazy. It becomes afraid to risk its acquisitions in fresh endeavours.” Rabindranath Tagore in his book ‘Nationalism’
- Learn to Communicate better
- Donate more often
- Read good books
- Shed caste system
- Be Religious but do not believe in blind beliefs
- Be with the Truth, always
- Practice acts of Kindness
- Be Generous
- Develop a curious mind
- Educate others
- Humanity First, Say No to violence
“If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts, has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions, I should point to India.” Max Muller
India is great but its greatness is dependent on its great citizens. Give back the greatness this country has given to you by birth by becoming a great citizen of this country.
Handpicked related post: You can’t ignore 27 year old dying woman’s advice. Read it NOW post
Love your country. Know why Canadian travel blogger Roxanne Hebert, loves India.
Loving India is about doing things which make the country great. Loving India is about not doing things which make the country weak.
Indian soldiers are giving it back by sacrificing their lives. Their Josh is high. Shouldn’t Our Josh for Our national duty also be high?