Lazy parenting is responsible for the childhood obesity epidemic. No excuses, please. Pampering your child for various reasons and excuses is the result of the childhood obesity epidemic. Parents neither have time for their own health nor for the health of their children. They are just too busy either in their career making or their social indulgences and yet they have time to become parents. This is the harsh and sad reality of our life.
At the cost of our most important priority as parents, we prioritize everything else. We don’t mind becoming a diseased body, nor do we mind our children become obsessed and live a difficult life.
Julia Hartley-Brewer in her article If your child is fat, then you are a bad parent, writes,”
“If force-feeding your child into obesity and ill health, a life on diabetes medication and far higher risks of cancer, heart disease, infertility and an early death isn’t child abuse, then what on earth is? “
As per the WHO, 2016 data,
- 41 million children under the age of 5 were overweight or obese.
- Over 340 million children and adolescents aged 5-19 were overweight or obese
In India, as per the Epidemiology of childhood overweight & obesity in India: A systematic review,” The pooled data after 2010 estimated a combined prevalence of 19.3 percent of childhood overweight and obesity, which was a significant increase from the earlier prevalence of 16.3 per cent reported in 2001-2005.”
This is an alarming situation. Immediate action is expected from the Government, Schools, and Parents.
“A child educated only at school is an uneducated child.” George Santayana, Spanish Philosopher.
Reasons of Child Obesity:
According to WHO, the fundamental cause of obesity and overweight is an energy imbalance between calories consumed and calories expended. Globally, there has been:
- an increased intake of energy-dense foods that are high in fat; and
- an increase in physical inactivity due to the increasingly sedentary nature of many forms of work, changing modes of transportation, and increasing urbanization.
According to Mayo Clinic, obesity can lead to multiple diseases like;
- Type 2 Diabetes,
- High Cholesterol,
- Heart Disease,
- Sleep disorder,
- Fatty liver disease etc.
Social complications include;
- Depression and
- Low self-esteem.
This is what your lazy parenting can gift your children.
You are lazy parents if you don’t have time for;
- Making home cooked food for the children going to the school
- Not taking interest in what your child eat and drink outside your home
- Allowing them to eat food like chips, processed foods, cold aerated drinks, fast food and packaged food
- Not making them play in a playground/garden
- Allowing them to have food while watching TV/ Mobile Phone
- Not limiting at a time food intake
- Not limiting eating out options.
Everyone is free to ignore the above recommendations and gift their children diseased and suffering future. You want them to like you now or later in life when they realise the importance of healthy living. The choice is yours.
A parent should have the wisdom to know when to say no to a child. Children don’t know better and if it was up to them they would live off of junk food and watching TV. That’s why the parents shouldn’t feel guilty when denying their children junk food and pushing them to eat/play smart.
Remember: Lazy parents who do not care for their children are not only irresponsible parents but are also burdening the society by their unhealthy children.
“Obesity in children is growing out of control. A big part of this is economic. Fake foods are more affordable. It’s enticing people to eat more because they think they’re saving money when they’re really just buying heart disease.” Jillian Michaels
Liked the post? Share it. Liked the post? Subscribe the Blog for regular updates in your inbox.