“You make a difference for every single person you come into contact with at work. Is that difference for the better or worse?” Alexander Kjerulf, author of the book Happy hour is 9 to 5.
This blog is about fitness and happiness. Both go hand in hand, one without the other is not possible. Today I am introducing Chief Happiness Officer (CHO) Alexander Kjerulf.
Happy hour is 9 to 5. This is what an ideal society can look forward to. The reality is stressed hour is 9 to 5 and beyond. The Chief Happiness Officer is what Alexander Kjerulf calls himself. His academy is Woohoo Academy is working in the area of Happiness at Work.
Recently he wrote The cult of overwork is killing startups. In every company, whether start-up or grown up, investors are driving people crazy. He writes,”
- If hours are all that matter, an entrepreneur working 80 hours a week will be beaten by one working 90 hours a week. Where does it end?
- Many of the mental qualities that make a startup successful are lost when people are overworked, tired, stressed and unhappy, including networking, creativity and effective decision making.
- Permanent overwork kills people. For instance, those working a 55-hour week face 33% increased risk of stroke.
- Permanent overwork doesn’t result in increased output.
- Pointing to successful startups that worked 80 hours a week proves nothing. What about all the startups that worked 90 hours a week and failed?
He has established himself as Happiness evangelist. He is speaking about happiness to the Military, he speaks at world happiness summit, his business card is one of the best ones can have.
His book Happy Hour is 9 to 5 has received rave reviews. He is writing another book titled Leading with Happiness.
Some of the quotes from his book Happy hour is 9 to 5 :
- “You know you’ve found your calling when you would rather do it and fail, than not do it.”
- “Most people chase success at work, thinking that will make them happy. The truth is that happiness at work will make you successful.”
- “When in doubt, ask yourself this: What would a really happy person do? Then do that.”
- “Don’t work harder, work happier.”
- “If you slave away every day at a job you hate and come home drained and frustrated, what is that teaching your kids?”
- “You will spend more of your waking hours at work than anything else. If that time doesn’t make you happy it’s a huge waste of life.”
- “Remember: Research shows that emotions are contagious. How will you infect others at work today?”
We need CHO in every company rather CHRO should be rechristened as CHO to realign his role and priorities. Read Happy hour is 9 to 5 to know why and what it takes.