Panipuri is a common street snack in several regions of the Indian subcontinent. In North India, it is called Golgappa, In madhaya pradesh It is called Fulki, In Andhra Pradesh and Telangana its is called as Pani Puri While in Odisha it is known as GupChup . In Gujarat it is called Pani Puri. This dish is equally popular in Pakistan i.e. erstwhile India.
Things to prepare:
- Puri (Usually easily available readymade in food stores)
- Pani (Water)
- Stuffing i.e. Moong, Chickpeas & Ragada
- 1 and ½ cup Mint leaves (Pudina)
- ½ cup Coriander leaves (Dhaniya)
- 2 Lime Juice (Nimbu)
- 6-7 Green chilies (you could use more if you like spicier)
- 3-4 Peppercorn
- 2 Teaspoon Roasted Cumin seed powder
- 2 cups of water or as consistency required
- 2 Teaspoon Black salt
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar (Optional)
- salt as per taste
Sweet (Dates) Chutney:
- 1 cup pitted Khajoor (Dates)
- 2 Tablespoon Tamarind pulp (Iimli) (If suitable for the health or else use Two Lemons)
- ¼ Teaspoon Red Chilii powder
- ½ cup Jaggery
- 1 Teaspoon Roasted Cumin seed powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Kala Namak (Black Salt)
- salt as per taste
- 2 cup water
For spice powder mix:
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander seed powder
- 1 teaspoon Chat Masala
- 1 teaspoon Black salt
- salt as required
For the stuffing: Ragda
- 1 cup of Safed Chana (Dried White Peas)
- ½ teaspoons Haldi Powder (Turmeric Powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of Soda by carb
1 cup of boiled Moong (Vigna radiate)
1 cup of boiled Red Chana (Chickpeas)
- Grind all the ingredients of Pani except water.
- Add 2 cups of water or as consistency required.
- Place in the fridge to chill or add some ice cubes for instant cooling.
Preparing sweet chutney:
- In a small pressure cooker, put all the ingredients and half cup of water
- Cook till 2 whistles and cool the cooker
- Open the cooker, make a paste of the mix in a mixer / hand blender
- Add 1 cup of water into the mix to make the paste thinner.
- Place aside to cool.
- Soak Dried White Peas for 4-5 hours.
- Pressure cook with ½ cup of water, salt, turmeric powder and a pinch of Soda by carb till 3 whistles.
- Allow the cooker to cool down. Ragda is ready
- Mix all the spice powder with a spoon and place them aside.
- Once the boiled Red Chana, and Moong are ready. Mix a teaspoon of this spice powder mix and adjust as per your taste.
How to eat Pani Puri:
- Make a small hole in the top center of the Puri with the help of spoon or finger.
- Add some Ragda mixture, Moong mixture.
- Now pour spoonful of Chutney or add as per your preference.
- Finally pour Pani and fill the Puri and eat.
- Serve the Pani Puris chilled and immediately else they would become soggy.
- You could make everything in advance and then serve puris.
- It’s important to have spicy water chilled to have better flavour
Click here to subscribe the blog and get a free ebook on 72 ideas about water and good health.