Golpapadi is one of the most revered sweets made by Gujarati families. This is a basic sweet yet very popular sweet. Gujaratis make Sukhadi also known as Golpapadi on auspicious occasions. This small square size sweet will find its way in the food baggage of most Gujarat travellers.
Sukhadi is offered as Prasad (Offering to the God) in one of the famous Temples in Mahudi town, Gujarat.
How to Make Sukhadi? Here is a Recipe for you.
- 1 bowl – Ghee
- 3/4th bowl – Jaggery (Gol)
- 1 ½ bowl – Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon – Soonth (Dried ginger powder)
- ½ teaspoon – Cardamom (Elaichi) powder
- 2 tablespoon – Milk
- 1 teaspoon – Cashew/Almond powder
(1 bowl = 250 ml, 1 tablespoon = 15 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml)
- Place a non-stick pan on gas and add Ghee.
- When Ghee is slightly hot add whole wheat flour
- Mix Ghee and Flour with a spatula till the mixture becomes pink/ dark brown (in slow flame) (it will take about 10-12 minutes) (You will have a strong aroma of the mixture, even your neighbour would know.)
- Switch off the gas stove, add jaggery, soonth, and milk, stir continuously till all jaggery is completely mixed with the paste. (2 -3 minutes)
- Keep one steel plate/thali greased with ghee & pour the mixture in the plate/thali. Spread evenly with spatula or small steel bowl.
- Sprinkle almond and cashew powder.
- Cut the evenly spread paste into pieces, let it cool down to the room temperature and then remove from the plate carefully.
- Now you have two choices – eat now or let it cool down and eat.
It will take about 20-25 minutes to make Golpapadi. You can keep the pieces in a container and it will remain edible for 2/3 weeks.
You can skip cardamom, soonth (dry Ginger powder), almond and cashew. Some home chefs also add saunf seeds.
Jaggery has medicinal values as per the Ayurvedic texts. It can improve hemoglobin level, good for curing a cold and cough. It is also known for giving warmth to the body.
Sukhadi i.e. Golpapdi is a healthy energy bar. You can eat it any time of the day and carry it to any part of the world. You will savour this all-weather companion.